Lunar New Year Ritual: Welcoming The Year of the Metal Ox
The Ox is the second sign of the Chinese zodiac and is known for their diligence, perseverance and dependability. According to astrologers the coming 12 months will bring positivity, new opportunities and stability in all of us. Take advantage of the Ox's steadiness and embrace this new lunar year with a positive outlook.
The start of a new Lunar year is a good time to cleanse your space and welcome new energy flow. Here is a simple ritual you can do to welcome The Year of the Ox.
What you will need:
- Aquamarine or Lapis Lazuli crystal
- Sea salt
- Smudging herb (such as sage, palo santo or incense)
- An altar (a chosen spot in your home/space) preferably near a window.
- Plants or flowers
Clean your home before the eve of Chinese New Year (12th February 2021). This is thought to cleanse any unwanted energy from your home, and help you clear out the old for new seeds to sow.
Cleanse your space:
Use a smudging herb of your choice (such as palo santo or sage) to clear any negativity and refresh the energy flow. Open windows to allow the smoke to carry the old energy out. As you move through your space make sure to cover all the dark corners and hidden areas (old energy likes to hide in dark spaces) You can visualise a white energetic light spreading through your home chasing out any bad energy.
ɪᴍᴀɢᴇ ᴄʀᴇᴅɪᴛ: ᴇɴᴇʀɢʏ ᴍᴜsᴇ
Choose a good spot near a window and make a manifestation altar (a sacred spot in your home that is devoted to your intentions and what you want to manifest) Making an altar is a good way connect to the Universe/Spirit/Source and energetically bring your intentions to life.
This is your space so personalise it as creatively as you like but here are suggested items to include on your altar.
- A piece of Aquamarine or Lapis Lazuli (associated gemstones of the the Ox zodiac)
- A smudging herb of your choice (such as palo santo, sage or incense)
- A dish of salt - to purify the energies around your altar
- A bowl of water - to honour the element of water
- A candle - to honour the element of fire
- A plant or flowers - to honour the element of earth. Crystals also represent Earth element so you can add crystals of your choice.
- A mirror - to represent spirit/energetic life force (optional)
- Add anything else that represents what you want to manifest. For example money notes or a bag of coins if you want to manifest money and wealth. A passport or previous flight ticket if you want to travel. A picture of loved ones to build better relationships.
Send Gratitude to the Ox.
At your altar/sacred spot, light your candle, burn your sage or incense. Hold the Aquamarine crystal in your left hand, close your eyes and think of your intentions this year. Visualise them and bring them to life in your mind. Finally, give thanks and gratitude to the diligent Ox animal. In your thoughts, honour the Ox for his life-long labour and devotion to our farmer ancestors. Thank him for his loyal companionship and hard work in the fields. Ask that the Ox bring you a good year ahead.
Keep this setup for as long as you like during the Chinese New Year weeks.
May the Year of the Ox bring you happiness, good health and success.
The Year of the Ox runs from February 12th, 2021 until January 30th, 2022.
Recent years of Year of the Ox (1925, 1937, 1949, 1961, 1973, 1895, 1997, 2009, 2021)